Nutritious Kids Breakfast- Brown Rice Kheer
- 1 cup (150 g) Khaas Brown Basmati Rice
- 3/4 cup (100 g) cashew nuts
- 1/3 cup (50 g) blanched almonds
- 4 1/2 cups (1 L) Milk
- 6 cardamom pods
- 2/3 cup (100 g) raisins
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- A pinch of saffron threads, soaked in 3 1/2 tablespoons (50 ml) boiling water (optional)
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons golden honey
- Soak Khaas Brown Basmati Rice in one bowl and the cashews and almonds in another in water for at least an hour.
- Drain the rice and put it into a saucepan with the milk and 2 cups (500 ml) of cold water and bring to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes at a gentle bubble until the rice has puffed up and the liquid is beginning to thicken.
- Meanwhile, drain the nuts and finely chop them. Bash the cardamom pods in a mortar with a pestle and remove the fragrant seeds, then discard the pods and grind the seeds until you have a powder.
- After 20 minutes add the nuts, raisins, spices, and honey to the rice and cook for another 15 minutes until thick and creamy, somewhere between rice pudding and porridge. You want to reach the sweet spot where the rice is soft, with very little bite, and the kheer is creamy but not too thick. If it looks like it is thickening too fast, turn the heat down and add a little boiling water from the kettle. Serve with sliced bananas , roasted flax seeds or even roasted pumkin seeds and quick and healthy breakfast ready for your little wonder!!